2.28.2010

peanut butter cupcakes


EDIT: this recipe was featured on the Tasty Kitchen website on 3/2/10

This recipe actually comes from my fiancee's family, so I'm going to let him introduce it...

"When Jamie first decided to start this blog, I told her she had to make my Great-Aunt Bug's 
peanut butter cupcakes. Bug was a classy lady. As the story goes, she spent a number of years 
living on her own in New York City in an era when that sort of thing just wasn't done by 
single women. She amassed a rather large collection of antiques, big city culture and 
a wealth of scratch recipes. When she returned to the family farm in Blue Rapids Kansas, 
she took to setting up her home and swapping recipes with her friends and family.
These peanut butter cupcakes have been baked for generations with love and butter, 
by fiercely independent and classy ladies."


So, here's what you'll need to make Aunt Bug's Peanut Butter Cupcakes:

this makes about 16 cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 whole eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.

Add in the peanut butter.

Then the eggs and vanilla extract.

Your batter should be thick and creamy.

Now mix in the dry ingredients and the milk in alternating batches. Combine until light and fluffy.

Spoon the batter into a pan filled with cupcake liners.

They won't rise very much, so you can fill them up pretty high.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted to the center of a cake.

Let cool, and then decorate. These would be great with chocolate frosting.

Vanilla frosting with chocolate sprinkles was pretty good too.

The cupcakes come out light and fluffy, and of course, full of peanut butter flavor.

And they didn't last very long!

11 comments:

  1. from the looks of these cupcakes, you picked the right family to marry into!
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J, I sure did :)

    Also, I just found out this is today's featured recipe on Tasty Kitchen! http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sooo making these for my MIL's bday!! I'll let you know it turns out -- thanks for the recipe!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so yummy - I'm sort of a peanut butter fan. :D I've never seen that kind of peanut butter before. The vanilla frosting with sprinkles is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look delicious. Should I use baking powder (in list of ingreds.) or baking soda (in the description section)? Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should read baking powder in both places, thanks for catching that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jamie,
    I just wrote you an email and thought I would check on your baking site too. I am so excited and happy for you, for getting featured!
    Love, Kels

    ReplyDelete
  8. these turned out delicious! I coupled them with Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Frosting and shavings of Reeses Peanut Butter Chips.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've recently become a cupcake fanatic... thank you for sharing!! Would love to see some more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this recipe, the cupcakes were moist, fluffy and full of peanut butter flavour, I could have them without any frosting. I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup though due to personal preference.

    DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please keep updating this blog,Great post!Interesting blog, คาสิโน the author thanks so much for the interesting explanation! 

    ReplyDelete