2.11.2010

cheddar jalapeno cornbread muffins


These cornbread muffins are unbelievably easy to make, and incredibly delicious. I got the recipe out of the Cupcakes! from the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook which my future sister-in-law gave me for Christmas. (Along with a very cute apron, I might add!) If you've never heard of the Cake Mix Doctor, she takes box mixes and adds simple ingredientsto make something that is as easy as a box mix but tastes a little more homemade. 
Trust me. These muffins are seriously easy, and seriously delicious.

Start with 1 fresh jalapeno pepper. Don't be scared.


Slice it in half, remove all the seeds and the membrane (this takes out most of the heat) and dice finely. Be careful not to touch your face or eyes after handling the pepper.  Wash your hands thoroughly before moving on to the next step. This will sound silly to you, unless (like me) you've had hot pepper in your eye before.


Next, grate up about a cup of cheddar cheese.
I like mine extra sharp. (and I like to use a little more than a cup.)


In a medium sized bowl, mix 1 egg, a 4.5 oz can of chopped green chiles, and an 8.25 oz can of cream style corn. (if your can is off by .5 or .25 oz it's ok, this recipe isn't picky) Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.


Add your grated cheese and diced jalapenos, then mix again.


Empty an 8.5oz box of corn muffin mix into a large bowl, and form a well in the center.


Add in your wet ingredients and stir about 20 times to combine.
You don't want to overmix.


Spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray, and spoon in your mix.


Bake at 400 degrees F for 13 minutes, up to 20 minutes for full size muffins.
Let cool on a rack, then serve.


Ingredient recap:
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 egg
4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
8oz can cream style corn
8.5oz box corn muffin mix 

see, I told you it was easy.

35 comments:

  1. Cheesy and Spicy is always a good combination! I'm gonna have to give these a try ;)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! Do you drain the green chilies?

    Sieglinde, aka Siggy Spice
    www.siggyspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. no draining, just dump the whole can in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know just two things, first one is, I am vegetarian so is there any other recipe that can I try and another point is I am following weigh loss plan so can I eat this or not ?

      Delete
    2. I dnt think iit gets more vegetarian than this.

      Delete
  4. my mom is making these right now ! :)
    -Ashley ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. um ... it's easy because you make it from a can and a mix. any suggestions for how to substitute regular ingredients for those?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Click. Add to favourites. This is a quick and easy way to spice things up! What a great idea for an improvisation on the regular. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There,

    It looks so yumm guess it tastes delicious.

    Cheer!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jamie, these look delicious! I have the same Wilton pan and was wondering how many muffins this recipe makes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm... I should have written that down when I made them! I think it was at least one full pan and a half, so quite a few!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg! I hope mine look as good as yours... gonna try for dinner with some chili! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive just made your recipe. They're in the oven as I type! I hope they turn out well. they smell delicious so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making them now!!! Can't wait to try them. Super easy to make. I will post and let you know how they were.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Jamie, these muffins are awesome with my mama's white beans and ham. I have a restaurant size muffin pan so I doubled the recipe and froze half, still delish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. turned out too runny for me... I like my corn bread a little cakey. maybe next time I would drain the cans before adding them, and not use all the creamed corn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these two times already and they have always turned out just perfect. I add a bit more jalapeno because we love them so a bit spicier, but for us it works!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great. Love the photos, makes the recipe seem better somehow. I plan to make these soon. I love all the ingredients and I'm sure my family would agree!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to make these in a cake pop machine because my oven is broken. They look super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. these were so yum! made them with just jalapenos though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These were a big hit at the chili cook off today! Great recipe to make with soups since it's so easy and you're already doing about 200 other things when you're making soup/chili!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just made them. I added fresh frozen corn from the summer and they turned out fabulous. Thanks for the the pictures really help a lot. They are picture perfect. :}

    ReplyDelete
  21. These were great - nice and moist - I am not crazy about the green chiles though so next time I think I may try them with just jalapenos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. found you on pinterest

    adorable muffins <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made these the other night to go with a veggie chili, they were SO GOOD! They are very moist, but I like them that way. I found that after letting them set/cool off for about 20 mins they aren't as gooey inside. They were still delicious straight out of the fridge as leftovers the next day too; I'll be making these regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think my hubby would love these..I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Making these for the SECOND time! They are delicious...so good with a big pot of chili. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i just wanna say, thanks! i'm going to a seafood boil tomorrow and i thought this sounded awesome. it was super easy to make... can't wait to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for posting this! I always have boxed corn muffin mix in my pantry, but sometimes crave something more flavorful like this. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh.My.Word. I can't describe how DELICIOUS these are. Talk about a new favorite recipe. Yum yum yum ... thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just made these tonight, and my husband and son totally loved them! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm trying these this weekend - sounds delicious, and will go great with my spicy sausage and beer chili ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow thanks for sharing this one, reminds me of a recipe I tried before called corn muffins recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Making my second batch as we speak and they are AMAZING! Perfect for a potluck dinner, which I'm ecstatic to share my Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread muffins! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete