10.18.2011

candy corn cookies

Raise your hand if you've heard of Pinterest.
OK, keep your hand up if you are [like me] completely addicted to Pinterest.
Good. Now I'm going to show you a recipe idea I found on Pinterest.
I've been pinning ideas like crazy, but this is the first recipe I've actually made:

Candy Corn Cookies! I used my own vanilla cookie recipe instead of
the lemon one in the original post, but I followed her basic instructions.


What you'll need:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 whole large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Yellow and Red food coloring

Makes about 10 dozen bite-sized cookies.
NOTE: If you want to make bigger cookies,
double the recipe and increase the baking time.

Beat room temperature butter until creamy, then add in sugar.
Mix well and add the egg and vanilla, then the flour and salt. Divide dough
into 3 equal parts. Take 1 ball and mix in yellow food coloring,
then add orange [yellow + red] to the second.

Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper and press in your dough.


Layer with white on the bottom, then orange, and yellow on top.


Pop in the fridge for at least 30 min, or up to 2 days.
This will make the cookies easier to slice.


Turn your dough out of the pan onto some parchment paper.
Slice lengthwise, then cut each strip into triangular corn shapes.


Place on parchment paper lined sheets and bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes.
You want to pull them out just before they start to brown.


These cookies turned out so adorable, and they would be great for a Haloween
party or even to hand out as "treats"! I know people either love or hate candy corn,
but everyone loves cookies :) I'm definitely going to have to start trying more
of the ideas I've found on Pinterest.


Want to know a secret? These cookies are gluten free. That's right, no gluten.
I've been trying to cut back on my gluten intake. It seems I may be gluten-intolerant
the same way I am lactose-intolerant. Meaning: I'm not allergic to gluten, but I feel a
lot better when I don't eat it. I'm not giving it up forever [and this isn't turning into a
gluten free only blog]. I'll just be posting some "dual" recipes.


The only thing in the recipe I changed was to use a gluten free flour blend.
You sub in the same amount as you use of regular flour. I found this gluten free blend
by Namaste at Whole Foods and it worked really well. I've tried gluten free blends
before and the cookies did not hold their shape... these did!
[Plus I took the cookies into my office and everyone deemed them delicious]

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving cooking off of Pinterest these days too! Love how festive these cookies are.

    ReplyDelete