6.07.2011

margarita cake pops

I can't tell you how excited I am to share this recipe.
Two of my favorite things: Margaritas and Cake Pops.
Finally combined into one little edible heavenly bite on a stick.


I've been dreaming of margarita cake pops for a long time, 
and when I saw Bridget from Bake at 350 post these lemon cake pops
shortly followed by Pioneer Woman's link to these margarita cupcakes... 
I knew it was time to take the plunge.


Unfortunately I made these for a party and they were 
completely devoured before I could get too many photos.

Inspiration comes from the above recipes, with a few tweaks. Mostly... I added more tequila!

Margarita Cake
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temp
5 limes, zested and juiced
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup tequila

Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Cream butter and sugar, 
then add eggs one at a time. Add dry mix and buttermilk in alternating portions. Add in lime zest, 
juice, and tequila and mix well. Bake at 350 F for about 40 minutes, or until done.

Tequila-Lime Frosting
3/4 stick butter
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
juice 1/2 lime
1 tsp tequila

Crumble cake and mix in just enough frosting to hold the cake together when squished into a ball.
Make cake balls. Dip the end of a paper lollipop stick into candy coating, then insert into cake ball. 
Let set, then dip entire ball into candy coating and top as desired. 

I had some pops that were topped with sea salt, but as those were the favorite, 
they escaped without having their photo taken.


The rest [including the few pictured] were topped with candied lime zest. 
Delicious, but a bit elaborate for just a cake pop topping!
Next time I will stick with the sea salt.


Still, they were a huge hit at the party- even Beau couldn't resist!
I highly recommend these if you are a margarita lover
[or I suppose they would be good with just the lime too.]

7 comments:

  1. You had me at tequila. And then I saw margarita. This is just so many awesome things wrapped up in one. I love the candied lime zest too, it looks really interesting. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is a cakepop I can get behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge margarita person, so these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there directions to the process for the icing? I am a newbie but need to make these for my mom's birthday. Besides, salt on top of sugar and tequila thrown in too?... Irresistible!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, these are amazing!!! I have been making cake pops for about a year and have made some of these and the peanut butter chocolate ones for a fundraiser. I can't wait to see how fast these go! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete