1.17.2011

funfetti pop rock cake pops

funfetti pop rock cake pops. 
Bet you can't say that 3 times fast!

Over the holidays, my siblings requested that I make cake pops. 
I, of course, happily obliged.

In case you are new around here, let me tell you that I will use just about any occasion as an excuse to make cake pops. I make them for birthdays, for sporting events, for holidays, for random seasonal outings with friends... I even made them as favors at my own wedding! You might say I'm a little cake pop obsessed.


My brother made the executive decision that we should have funfetti cake pops.


I mean... who doesn't love funfetti cake?


It looked so pretty when I crumbled it up.


They even stayed speckled after I mixed in the frosting.


We decided to dip them into Wilton's Colorburst candy melts. 
Hard to see, but it's white candy with rainbow flecks- like funfetti!


And then- credit goes to Husband for the idea- 
we sprinkled some pop rocks on top while the candy was still wet.


The pop rocks didn't "pop" in the candy melts.
They waited until they made it into your mouth when you took a bite.
It was a great way to add interest to the cake pop,
and super fun to eat! It was like being a kid again.


I have a feeling these will be showing up again in July...
firecracker pops anyone?

update: this post was featured on Gourmet Live 
as the Image of the Day on 1.19.11

19 comments:

  1. So cute!!! Pop rocks on a cake ball... definitely need to try this. Sounds pretty tasty to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, those are wonderful! I will definitely be trying these :). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular! Who dosen't love something so cute, that you can also eat? These are a genuis way to add some fun into any occasion. There are so many ways to have fun with these,great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRILLIANT !!!! can't wait to try these with my neice....thanks for the FUN !!!!

    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make these for my grandsons. What a treat. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time browsing through some of your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the kind words everyone! I think nieces and grandsons would LOVE making and eating these... and older 'kids' too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color on these! You could have so much fun with the holiday funfetti mixes, like the Valentines one that should be out now. Im definately going to try these for my girls. I think Ill try some dipped in Nerds candy :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect choice using the colorburst candy melts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are awesome!!! Funfetti is the best cake mix.
    I just made Funfetti Bread Pudding. http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2011/01/24/fun-damental/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like pop rock, Great article thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krista- Nerds would make a great topping too, anything to add a little texture.

    Peabody- Funfetti IS the best cake mix! I like to make my own color combos... just add sprinkles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife and I have been planning to make cake pops for a few weeks. Tonight's the night! Yesterday I picked up some pop rocks and suggested it might be a really cool, unexpected topping for the cake pop. So this morning I'm doing research, making sure that the pop rocks won't lose their fizz...happy to stumble onto yoru site, as well as see that your husband was also the one with the great idea. Go husbands, we rock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I thought I came up with the idea of the pop rocks cake pops but I see you've already done it. Awesome. I want to try to put the pop rocks in the center of the cake so it would make a surprise bite but I'm worried the moisture from the cake would 'activate' the pop before anyone ever gets a chance to bite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is really awesome but i just wondered if i can use white chocolate instead of the candy melts 4 the coating would it come out as beutifully???????????????

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I tried adding fizz wizz (pop rocks) to my cake pops awhile ago but they were melted on them by the next day did you have this problem? Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey these look awesome, making them 4 a class Halloween party, sooo exited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. Love your recipe, can’t wait to try it. Did you use plastic or paper lollipop sticks?

    Highly recommended SEO Austin Don Allen click here

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful . bakeries in fayetteville ar

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these sprinkly cake pops! Truly Fun Fetti!

    ReplyDelete